Friday, October 15, 2010

RANT

The road to mediocrity is paved with procrastination.

After years of putting things off and dismissing half-baked ideas

I have found myself working the same jobs I had

while I was in university for 5 years. I have done some great

things in my life that I am proud of. I was able to travel

and finish a degree. I have worked in the airline industry for

a short time but in the end here I am again.

I have hopes to build my own business and put together

a company to promote travel and such, but I have done little

to accomplish it. Every time I stop getting a steady income,

all I can think is that I am a bum, I need a job and why am

I not employed? then once I get work I have no time it seems

to even get my groceries done. There is a fine line between

enjoying your life and working hard to achieve your goals.

I think I am falling behind that line by getting caught up with everyday

activities rather than looking at the big picture and sacrificing the

little time I have to get what I want and where I want to be in life.

It feels like my case is not unique. I wonder how to break the cycle

of drudging through each day in order to make that pay check to

pay the bills and getting stuck in the grind. The lie I tell myself is that

I will save enough so that I can take the time to do what needs to

be done, but the truth is each time I feel like I can break free

another road block or an easier way out seems to spring up out

of nowhere and then somehow I'm right back here. Is this cycle

of switching between the rat race and occasional mini-adventures

a normal and accepted part of North American life now or what?

I have no idea where to start with a business plan and any ideas

to do with specifics seems like rocket science. Then there's the

travel bug itching at my feet every time I see the dollars start to

add up. could be a trip to Thailand or Europe or south America

or Australia.. too many thoughts floating around and there

are obviously some that are easier to accomplish than others

and some with less risk and struggle. Life is funny that way.

No comments: